papillon

The travels and travails of a wandering butterfly.

Monday, August 14, 2006

it's all funky



All of it. From the quiet strains of Indian music that someone across the couryard keeps playing in the late mornings to the way people look here. I swear, grunge had to originate here. It's thick. People here are funky-looking too. Their beauty is so unique. (read-the nice way to say that there are not nearly as many hotties of either gender here as in France by far...) I ended up in the Castro of Berlin today on my way to see a very nice lady doctor who gave me some drops for my persistant tummy trouble. I had thought it was getting better yesterday, but it was only until I ate. Imagine - me not eating for several days. Yes, I'm getting grumpy. I'm trying out the drops in an hour or so. Please for the love of Pete, I hope they work. Otherwise it's the ol' Cipro cocktail 2 times a day. Ugh.

Anyhoo. The Berlin Castro, yes. Off the Wittendorfstasse stop on the Metro. Lots of hot gay men in the cafes and lots of hair salons. If I were not feeling so crappy I might have hung out a bit longer.

Yesterday it was steadily raining the whole day, but I got out despite that and saw a bunch of museums. Not the inside, mind you. Just walked around the Platz where most of them are. By the time I got down there, my shoes and feet were soaked and being that it was Sunday, none of the stores were open. I had hoped to finally find some shoes. Being that I could not, I took some pics of the gorgeous buildings and the weird dead clown street fair that was happening and headed back to the flat. Yes, there was a street fair, one you had to pay admission to, and on the signs at all of the entrances was this drawing of a clown with Xs for eyes. I guess lots of you would agree that the only good clown is a dead clown, but it was a little creepy.

I realized the other day that I am plowing through this blogwriting with so little finesse. I wish I had time to be more descriptive. Ah well.

added photos: weird dead clown street fair sign, as promised, and the scary clown collection I forgot to mention was in the doctor's office. I guess Berlin was all about the clowns.

3 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Trey said...

Screw finesse. Just get the data down. That's what blogs are all about. You want finesse? Write a book, or get a job as a freelance columnist or something. You know, get people to actually PAY you for the work. Here? Blogging is to writing as Faire is to Broadway. Clearer now?

Love the posts, keep them coming. Sorry to hear about the D, had an episode myself in India (I know what it was, I had this drink which was not purified water, bad bad idea but it tasted really good!). Hope the drops worked!

It sounds like you're having the experience you hoped for, which is grand -- it sucks when travel does not give you what you wanted out of it, especially when it's so damn expensive!

Can't believe you slept so long on the TGV, but then, I just realized, going that fast things would get pretty boring and without your iPod (HOLY CRAP THAT SUCKS SO DAMN MUCH!!!!!!!!!!) sleep is about the only other alternative to passing the time. Besides getting grabbed by some hot French guy and dragged all-too-willingly into his little-but-cozy first-class cabin.

But I digress.

And I doubt that would make it into the blog.

LOL

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger shari sollars said...

Colleen, don't take Cipro, it will make you feel worse. It is for serious bacterial infections- like pneumonia. Having the D is to be expected while traveling, not from poor sanitation but from stress and exhaustion. Take this from your sister- well traveled and with similar physiology. Feeling crummy for 4-5 days is totally normal. You'll feel better with rest and some light food in your belly. Get some soup.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger CorrieBorrie said...

Colleen, listen to your sister! Take your vitamins. Don't wear dirty underwear. Change your socks. And for gosh sakes, put some toilet paper down on the seat! I don't trust those Europeans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home