papillon

The travels and travails of a wandering butterfly.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

back in the land of cheese




...and my favorite little internet spot in Montmartre, with the same guy at the counter as last summer. It's San Francisco weather here today and I can't say I'm thrilled. It's chilly and overcast. Ah well. I've been awake for well over 24 hours and I'm getting sleepy. It'll help keep me awake.
I saw a gaggle of nuns in the Houston airport so I snapped a photo. I hope they didn't mind. I'd hate to think of them praying to God to smite my ass for impertinence. Is it freaky to say that I felt like I didn't have enough time on the plane to do all the reading I wanted to do? Truly, I could spend days on end reading all the books I have been putting off due to school. The travel here was mostly uneventful I watched several movies in French (try watching The Incredibles in French, it's funny) and started to get it in my ear. On the way from the airport to where I'm staying I had conversations in French with three different random people. Nice to know I can get by. The guy I'm staying with speaks only slightly more English than I do French, so it's a mix. His place is small, but not by Paris standards and I get a weak but useful internet signal there, at least I did earlier today. So, I walked over here from Laurent's place and walked in circles for a little while deciding where to eat. So much good food, such a small stomach. Talked to a local at the cafe over lunch (roasted chicken and potatoes) about Sarkozy and the political direction of France and the U.S. For as much as I hear people say Parisians are rude, I must say, I have met many friendly people here. I think it has something to do with speaking a bit of French right off the bat. I wish that my grammar was better. Soon enough I suppose.
Not sure what I'm doing this week, but I am so happy to be in France again. I hope to swim in the Mediterranean this time. I've been getting emails from a French swing dance list, and if I can find it, I'll be dancing at a party on Friday night. More, I'm sure before I head to Angers on Sunday. The first two photos are of chez Laurent, the little apartment where I am staying while in Paris. The nuns speak for themselves.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger CorrieBorrie said...

mirps you so very much already... Have some stink cheese for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home