papillon

The travels and travails of a wandering butterfly.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

arrival and birthday

So it's been an interesting few days. On Sunday, I missed the first train to Angers because my bank card would not work in the ticket machine at the station. No big deal, I took the next train an hour later. Upon arrival, my "host mom," Annick, took me to a family BBQ where I ate more than I have eaten in the entire year so far. Here's what I remember of the menu: marinated cucumber salad, bean salad, cous cous avec herbs, tomates avec feta et basilic, with rosé wine, then: sausages, slabs of grilled bacon, pork roast, lamb chops, with cabernet sauvignon, then a cheese platter avec camembert, brie, port salut and a ripe mild goat cheese. Dessert: Two types of brownies, fresh raspberry pie, chocolate mousse, charlotte chocolat (which is a bread pudding mould soaked with Cointreau -made here in the Angers region -filled with chocolare mousse) and dessert wine. Coffee and tea. Everyone ate at least a serving of each dish. Annick has since served a similarly generous répas each night. I must start cutting back, this is the third night that I've gone to bed uncomfortably full. Not something to complain about, I know.
Annick's houise is charming. It's a 4 bedroom townhouse with a lovely garden of flowers, herbs and the occasional vegetable. My room is upstairs, sunny yellow walls - the color of the kitchen at the 10th St. house for those of you who saw it. here are metal shutters and a view of the garden. The house is a few miles from the school, so I take a bus in the morning. If I had my bike, it would be an easy ride, but as it is, the bus comes by the house once an hour. Fortunately, there are more buses leaving downtown when I'm on my way home.
The group of students in my group (through UofO) are young and friendly. There are various levels of French speakers, which has made conversations in French easier these past few days. Yesterday we had an intro meeting and a walkabout town. Our director, Sue, helped us all get bus passes, cell phones (except me because my phone company sucks and has not yet unlocked my phone) and showed us the sights. Last night I had a lovely dinner with Annick, with interesting conversation. She speaks not a word of English, and her French is fast, so I end up understanding about 20 to 60 percent of what she says depending on the subject. So much assumption and contextual clues. I think it would be much better to be in a home where someone could at least explain a few of the phrase structures and words I don't understand. It's really getting to me today.
Yeah, birthday abroad. Not terribly fun without loved ones around. Annick gave me a rose from her garden this morning, but otherwise, there has been little to do. I thought that I would not mind, but as my day started with rain, missing the bus (didn't realize it came once an hour until today), being late for our group meeting, and taking a placement test, you could say that it's been a challenge to keep it together. I did tour a huge castle downtown today, a highlight. I'll write more about it tomorrow. Right now, it's 10:30, the sunset is just about finished and I'm nodding off. More photos coming up as well.

2 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger CorrieBorrie said...

AAAAHHHHH!!! BIRTHDAY!!!! WHOOT!!!! We'll do something when you get back. We'll play "Spank the Colleeny". I know Doug wants in on that. :)

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Colleen!! Are you not the same woman who threatened to fly out to Boston and haul me out onto a dance floor yourself on my last birthday?=) I'm sorry to hear it was quiet, but maybe you can be consoled by the b-day message that's waiting for you once your cell provider stops sucking.
big hugs--

 

Post a Comment

<< Home